I've caught the Quilting Bug

I spent the weekend with my in-laws staring out at the pristine Umpqua River, and drooling over my mother in laws collection of quilting magazines. Armed with a stack of post it notes, I went page by page looking at all the beautiful quilts looking for inspiration. By the time I had gotten through all the magazines I had dozens of pages marked with ideas. I couldn't possibly take all the magazines home with me so I took pictures of them on my phone, until it was full and wouldn't let me take anymore. Talk about catching the quilting bug! My MIL really liked this table runner, below, so i'm going to surprise her by making it for her birthday that is coming up soon - January 15th.


Sunset Runner by Edyta Sitar, fabric from the Over the Rainbow batik collection by Moda
 I can think of no better gift for my MIL then a handmade table runner - the centerpiece of her table where meals, and conversation take place. We sometimes spend hours sitting at her table post dinner talking and connecting over coffee. The dining room table is truly the heart of her home.

I found this Sunset Runner in Fons & Porter's magazine Love of Quilting, November/December 2012 issue. I just ordered the fabric from a few small fabric shops on Etsy this afternoon. This runner is made from Moda's Over the Rainbow Batik Jelly Roll, and Natural Charm Pack, and a 1/2 yard of coordinating green for the back and binding - I chose Over the Rainbow Forest Green.

I'm new to batik's, they have never caught my eye at quilt shops - however the way this table runner uses a rainbow of colors is just stunning. Just look at this roll of color. I'm singing "Somewhere over the rainbow" right now.

Moda Over The Rainbow Batiks Jelly Roll
And here is the Natural Charm Pack used for the sides of the table runner.
Moda Over the Rainbow Batiks Natural Charm Pack
For the back and binding, I chose this.
Moda Over The Rainbow Forest Green for back of quilt and binding
I can hardly wait for the fabric to arrive to get to work on this! What projects are in your sewing basket this month?

Happy Sewing!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment