Cowgirl Doll Dress


I love how this doll dress turned out. I posted the other day about my sewing plans for the month, and finishing this dress for a friends birthday today was on that list. I'm happy to report, it's done, shipped & awaiting to be opened by the birthday girl tonight. I can't wait to hear what she thinks! That's one of the best things about handmade isn't it?... the eager anticipation of what someone thinks about something I made. Handmade gifts are the best to give and receive.

The DETAILS:

The Bodice and Sleeve fabric: Wanna be a Cowboy 2 by Samantha Walker, for Riley Blake
Ruffle Fabric: Oops-A-Daisy by Keiki for Moda
Pattern: Sew Jennifer and Kate 18 inch Doll Dress by Jelly Bean Soup Designs

Check out these adorable flutter sleeves. 

I top stitched the seam between the bodice and ruffle to give it a more finished look. This little extra step, was not in the pattern instructions but I always like to topstitch my seams in place.

The bodice is fully lined, which makes it very easy to sew because you don't have to mess with bias tape around the neck, which I find to be a pain - but that's just me, I can never get it to lay quite right. I also like the look of a lined bodice better anyways.

The pattern instructions said to use a velcro closure, however since this dress is made for a 9 year old who knows how to button up her doll dress - and since I love using the buttonhole function on my sewing machine, I went for buttons. The hot pink buttons really pop.

I can't take a picture of this dress on a doll because I don't have one. But I did get an American Doll catalog in the mail the same day I finished this dress. They must have ESP.


While I was sewing this dress, my daughter asked for a blanket for her horse. She said she only wanted one horse on it, no boots, and this is what I came up with. The blanket is held in place by 1/4 elastic.

I need a doll to sew for! Off to go look at those dolls in my new AG catalog.

Jen

2 comments: