Sewing in the New Year

Happy New Year! I'm kicking off the start of the year planning, and of course those plans include sewing. With so many options of projects to sew, (just check my Pinterest boards), it's easy to get sidetracked. If there's one thing i've learned about myself in the last 36 years, is if I don't have a plan, then it doesn't happen. So make a plan, write it down, schedule it, and stick to it!

Here's my initial rundown of projects I am planning for the new year, a few small projects like making doll clothes, placemats, and aprons. To some larger projects - take a class in apparel sewing, fashion draping, and alterations.

1. Sew Jennifer and Kate 18 inch Doll Dress for a friends daughters birthday, January 6. I just bought this pattern, i'll let you know how it goes. It's finished! Cowgirl Doll Dress
2. Placemats to go with the Sunset Table Runner I made for my mother in laws birthday last year. Her birthday is coming up mid January, and the fabric just arrived. Time to get started. Done! I even made a tutorial for you to create your own placemats, Sunset Placemats Tutorial.

3. Apron for me! I bought red polka dot fabric in December with the intention of sewing an apron for my daughter and I. I make aprons all the time for other people, but I have yet to make one for me. Maybe a tutorial is coming soon on how I make aprons. I like a simple chefs apron style, with adjustable neck strap, and a ruffle hem, of course.
I think those projects will keep me busy in January. But just in case I find a few extra hours, these are on my list for 2014:

4. Sewing for home. This list is endless, but I would like to make new placemats and napkins for my table. I make pillow covers several times a year, because I like to change them out with the season and my mood. Pillows were one of the first things I learned to sew, they're really easy to make and can make a huge impact in the feel of a room. I would also like to make bunting to decorate our tree  house we built last summer.




5. Take a class in apparel sewing. I signed up for The Couture Dress Class on Craftsy. The class teaches couture sewing techniques to sew a dress that fits like a dream. I am so excited to get started on this class.

6.  Take a class in fashion draping. I signed up for the Fashion Draping, Dressmaking Basics class on Craftsy. The class teaches how to create a muslin drape, transfer it to pattern paper and cut the pattern from fashion fabric.

To be continued...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment