Craftsy Block of the Month

I'm so excited about the Craftsy Block of the Month class with Jinny Beyer that I joined this month. I waited weeks before the kit was available to order, and they didn't last long because my mother in law tried to order a kit the day after I bought mine and they were already sold out. (You can purchase the fabric individually on Jinny Beyer's website, the fabric part #'s are listed in the course material). My kit arrived on Thursday, and I was all giddy opening the package! I spent last weekend labeling my fabrics, and cutting pieces to reserve them for the sashing strips, cornerstones, foundations, block backgrounds, and binding fabric that will be needed later in the year. I loved the process of organizing everything, and especially enjoyed a solo trip to the fabric store to pick up a few new supplies I needed for the quilt  including template plastic, hand sewing needles and thread.

Source Craftsy Block of the Month Quilt Kit
I have to admit that at first glance the quilt didn't really appeal to me, but now that i've finished my first block, I really love it! The colors in the quilt kit are gorgeous. These are the colors in the first block "May Basket". They are much more vibrant in person.
Source Jinny Beyer

I joined the class because I am pretty new to quilting and I really wanted to learn quilting techniques. I am always looking to improve my sewing skills.

I finished my first block the "May Basket" last night, it is completely hand pieced. I enjoyed learning Jinny's method for hand stitching. I've always pulled the thread all the way through each stitch, I had a major aha moment watching the video and learning how to sew several gathered stitches all at once.  Oh, and now I know the term fussy cutting - there are so many quilty terms to learn.

I'm posting my progress on Instagram, so connect with me @tangledthreadsbyjen if you're doing the class too!

Happy sewing!
Jen

1 comment:

  1. I love the colors in this quilt! I purchased a Jinny Beyers Block-of-the-Month set several years ago and it is all still sitting in a box waiting for me to get around to starting it. If I just do a block each month, that shouldn't be asking too much! Thanks for the nudge to find and begin this project.

    ReplyDelete