Vintage Sewing Pattern: Advance 9441

 
I purchased this original vintage Advance 9441 pattern from Etsy during Christmas break, and i've been eager to make it ever since. I need just the right fabric to get started on this. From what I could find out about this pattern searching online, it is a 1960s cocktail dress. The pattern says:

One wonderful dress with so much flattery and fashion, you'll want it both in solids and prints! It's an indispensable... to dress up or down, to wear with big chunky necklace and earings or a single jeweled brooch. 

Isn't it lovely?

Over the break I was immersed in the book Sew Retro: 25 Vintage-Inspired Projects for the Modern Girl & A Stylish History of the Sewing Revolution, by Judi Ketteler.  I imagine what these women were like & what trials they faced. But oh the lovely dresses they wore.

I can't make this dress out of just any fabric, so I am on the hunt for the perfect one. Looking over the list of recommended fabrics on the pattern, there are several I am unfamiliar with like peau de soie, shantung, surah, and faille. What are these? How much do they cost? What are there draping properties? Are they readily available? How about availability of vintage fabric in good condition?

Here's the list of suggested fabrics found on the back of the Advance 9441 pattern:

  • Peau de soie
  • Satin
  • brocade
  • faille
  • wool crepe
  • jersey
  • polished cotton
  • gingham
  • cotton surah
  • cotton lace
  • jacquard
  • pique
  • linen
  • rayon linen
  • silk linen
  • silk
  • synthetic crepe
  • shantung
  • surah
  • taffeta
Anyways, this long list got me thinking about doing a blog series about the properties, price range and uses for each of these fabrics. I figured if i'm going to research this anyways, maybe someone else could find this information useful. I also, started a Pinterest board to keep track of the fabrics I like for this dress.

My next post will be on Peau de soie

No comments:

Post a Comment